THE TALENT MAGNET looks back at 2010....

It always amazes me when we get this close to a New Year - just how fast it went. Then, I recall periods of the year that seemed to last forever. Still...it will be strange for quite a while to write & see 2011 as the year we are in.

This was a year that tested many people in many extraordinary ways. We saw tragedy, triumph, despair and hope all battling for top honors.

Here's a snapshot of some of the top attention grabbing events of 2010:

- An estimated 230,000 people die in Haiti following one of the more powerful earthquakes in recent history rocks this poor country (we also the entire world step up to offer support)

- Apple continues to amaze us by unveiling the i-Pad in April - selling more than 3 million in the first 3 months it was available

- Tiger Woods proved that heroes are just people like you and me - with flaws and ugly things they would not want others to know about them

- Air travelers are now offered an option - be viewed through a "see-through" scanner...or get an old fashioned "pat down" with new "touching techniques"

- On March 23rd; President Obama signed the new Health Care Reform Bill into law (far too many Americans remain uncovered - self employed Americans cannot afford coverage)

- On April 20th; the BP Oil disaster hits with an explosion that kills 11 and sets off the worst environmental catastrophe in history

- Arizona passes an Immigration Law giving police there the right to detain someone they even suspect of being in the country illegally (racial profiling vs national safety)

- In May - a bomber fails to detonate a powerful car bomb in the middle of Times Square in NYC - the failed attempt could have killed hundreds

- In June - 2 relatively unknown tennis players show how powerful sheer will and determination are as they play the longest match in tennis history - going 11 hours and 5 minutes ending in a score of 70-68

- The Boss - George Steinbrenner - owner of my beloved NEW YORK YANKEES dies at 80. during his reign as Owner - Steinbrenner brought 7 World Series championships and 11 Pennants to the most prolific team in all of sports

- In October - our faith in humanity - our belief that we can overcome what look to be unbeatable odds was restored when all 33 of the trapped Coal Miners in Chile were brought to the surface successfully

All of these events impacted us in some way...or at the very least gave us reason to pause and consider.

Some of us spent the year dealing with tremendous personal challenge/tragedy that did not allow for frivolous concern for world events or pop-culture.

Most of us had to face our own extraordinary circumstances. Here are some real examples of issues/feelings faced by many people I know in 2010:

- REMAINING UNEMPLOYED (many jobless for 12 months or more)
- TREMENDOUS FINANCIAL STRESS (How will I meet my obligations?)
- EXTENDED WORRY/ANXIETY (Staying in panic mode- wondering when things will improve)
- BEING PASSED OVER FOR A NEW JOB FOR BEING "OVERQUALIFIED" (despite your willingness to take less money and a lower title)
- BEING FORCED TO TAKE A PAY CUT (when the salary you were earning barely paid the bills)
- PERSONAL ILLNESS OR HEALTH ISSUES FOR A LOVED ONE (as if all that other stuff was not enough)
- DEPRESSION (a desire to isolate & disconnect from the world)
- FEELING TRAPPED IN A JOB YOU HATE BECAUSE THERE ARE NO JOBS BEING OFFERED (This job is killing me - but I have no choice but to stay)
- ALCOHOL OR SUBSTANCE ABUSE (trying to numb all the negativity/inability to cope with all the stress)
- LOSING YOUR HOME (more people I know in foreclosure or forced to move than ever)
- FEELING OF FAILURE OR BEING IN A HOLE YOU CAN'T GET OUT OF (Despite the economy being horrible - many people see (wrongly) their situation as a reflection of their abilities)
- QUESTIONING YOUR SKILLS/ABILITIES (After a while; you begin to wonder if you were as good as you thought you were...maybe it's you - not the economy)

At first glance; some of the items listed above may not appear as "dramatic" as some of the world events I listed...but believe me - when I hear people's stories and review my own path through 2010 - these challenges/feelings were as large in scope as the earthquake in Haiti.

However, it is important to note that there seemed to be a change that occurred. Something shifted...an energy changed...perhaps much of which is unexplainable... that began to bring a more positive mindset - and subsequently REAL CHANGE.

Over the course of the last half of the year; I have had the privilege to meet/work with some extraordinary people. Their spirit...optimism...energy are contagious.

My own experiences have shown that we have little control over the world around us. What we do have control over is the way we react to CHALLENGE, ADVERSITY, TRAGEDY. We can collapse and say to ourselves "look at what the world is doing to me now" or choose to BATTLE...choose an ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE...choose to RE-EVALUATE OUR PRIORITIES...and choose to have faith that if we do THE NEXT RIGHT THING...and conduct our lives with honor, compassion and respect for others...that GOOD THINGS WILL HAPPEN!

As a result of trying to just focus on today - truly listening to others and having in faith in people...I have been rewarded with both professional success and personal satisfaction.

In the past 6 months; The Talent Magnet placed 5 times the number of people in new jobs than in all of 2009!

I am proud to say I have touched the lives of dozens of people this year - by LISTENING to them and introducing them to opportunities that were not only what they wanted...but in many instances...were life changing career opportunities.

I want to express my sincere gratitude for the opportunity to partner with such dynamic, prestigious clients as:

TPR HOLDINGS LLC
COTY BEAUTY
GREY ADVERTISING
REVLON
HBO
KIRSHENBAUM BOND SENECAL & PARTNERS
LVMH
ESTEE LAUDER
BLISS
A&E TELEVISION NETWORKS
KAPLAN THALER GROUP
GLACEAU
R/GA
ALLSCOPE MEDIA
AMERICAN LAWYER MEDIA
MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

just to name a few...

I also want to thank the AMAZING...TALENTED....CHALLENGING...FUNNY & TRULY EXTRAORDINARY candidates I have had the good fortune to RECRUIT, BE REFERRED TO, REPRESENT, and introduce to my clients. Yes...I am a very funny guy...talented recruiter...handsome man...etc., etc., but would not be anything without quality people to represent!

To this end; I am pleased to note that I have rewarded REFERRALS THAT RESULT IN SUCCESSFUL PLACEMENTS with over $7,500.00 in REFERRAL FEES in 2010!

SO...PLEASE...MAKE ME PAY YOU.... KEEP THE REFERRALS COMING. IT IS WITHOUT QUESTION - THE BEST METHOD I HAVE OF MEETING GREAT PEOPLE!


In closing; I want to express my gratitude for an amazing year and wish everyone HEALTH, HAPPINESS, PROSPERITY & PEACE IN YOUR HEART in 2011!!!

All my best-

SEAN KOPPELMAN (THE TALENT MAGNET)


" I'd rather write rhymes - than head-hunt to pay bills...
And yes, I'd like to see my name in lights on Broadway and inside those Playbills...
But yet... I battle...like a driven bull... amongst a million head of cattle...
Hoping - that if I continue to do all the right things...maybe I'll get to heaven...
But knowing - that if nothing else...doing all the right things will bring a prosperous 2011" - SK

Popular posts from this blog

LIKE ME - FRIEND ME - CONNECT WITH ME... HAVE WE MET?

DO YOU THINK THE RECESSION IS OVER?