DO YOU THINK THE RECESSION IS OVER?

So...I guess we can all breathe a sigh of relief...according to the "experts"; we are coming out of the recession!

Economists and leaders of industry are appearing on all types of news programs, websites and publications - declaring the end of this economic struggle. Apparently, some of the banks the government gave billions to - are beginning to show signs of stabilizing. In addition, "PRODUCTION" numbers look to be on the rise.

However...UNEMPLOYMENT remains HIGH...and NEW CLAIMS are continuing to increase. The nearly 14 month period of DOWNSIZING, LAY-OFFS, RESTRUCTURING has resulted in the WORST JOB MARKET IN NEARLY 30 years! Yes...it does appear that the FIRING has slowed considerably. Unfortunately, companies have not yet begun to HIRE at a rate that will put even the slightest dent in joblessness.

For the past year; I have received approximately 200 resumes/day from candidates that are out of work. The jobs that were eliminated were NOT specific to a particular skill set or industry. As a result; I am seeing resumes from Human Resources, Advertising, Marketing, Administrative Support, Public Relations and Accounting/Finance professionals alike.

The focus of my recruitment practice has centered on the Beauty, Advertising & Entertainment industries. Within a 90 day span...a little over a year ago...almost all recruitment activity (going out to agencies) came to a halt. In the past, there was always a gradual decline that generally resulted in a decrease in PERM hiring - but an increase in TEMP. In this down market...ALL hiring slowed.

Over the course of the last month or so; I have noticed a bit of a pick-up in recruitment activity for my Client sectors. The reality is that companies that are beginning to fill open positions are NOT yet thinking about paying a recruitment fee to do so.

I began my recruitment career and spent the following 12 years in HEALTHCARE STAFFING. The issue always stemmed from the Hospitals, Nursing Homes and Clinics inability to PAY for staffing services in a timely manner. As a result, my company was waiting 4, 5 and 6 months to get paid. Despite this fact, many agencies continued to fill positions. Unfortunately, it got to a point where temp staff was pulled from assignments and law suits were threatened. Apparently, over the past 4-5 years; this situation has improved a bit. One of the very few staffing speciality areas that continues to make money...is HEALTHCARE! The biggest demand coming in the form of ALLIED HEALTH PROFESSIONALS...and the ongoing NURSING SHORTAGE in the US.

Despite my desire to work in more CREATIVE industries - I have been networking and putting a lot of time into preparing for the possible launch of a HEALTHCARE DIVISION of The Talent Magnet. It just makes sense! This is an industry I know very well & during my tenure _ I was partnering with the most prestigious HEALTHCARE organizations in the NY metro area and the country. Although many of the HR faces have changed since I was last dedicated to HEALTHCARE STAFFING - I have begun to seek out NEW relationships & am receiving a very positive response so far!

This is the next attempt to BATTLE the market. So...is the recession over? I guess it depends on who you ask. But with unemployment still rising and predictions of a 10%+ rate in the NYC area...its not happening FAST ENOUGH. It does not matter that banks can now afford loans - if people don't have ANY INCOME!!!

So...I continue to SMILE & DIAL...keep in close contact with all my clients - put 150% into establishing CHARLEY'S CRADLE www.charleyscradle.com as a premier provider of BABY NURSES...and NOW RECONNECTING WITH HR EXECUTIVES & HIRING MANAGERS IN THE HEALTHCARE ARENA.

For me...the recession ain't over until MANY MANY MORE PEOPLE ARE EMPLOYED!!!



"YA CAN'T KNOCK THE HUSTLE" - JAY-Z

Popular posts from this blog

LIKE ME - FRIEND ME - CONNECT WITH ME... HAVE WE MET?