WELCOME TO MY WORLD....

After a rather stressful few weeks spent hustling to get some of NYC's most talented jobseekers new positions; I feel the need to share with you some tales that need to be told!

SCENERIO #1

When I launched The Talent Magnet in January, I was very excited to sign a contract with a fairly well known boutique publishing house to handle some recruitment needs.

Within 2 weeks of my visit, the Director of HR reached out to ask me to introduce an Administrative Assistant for the Editor of their most popular magazine. I was thrilled to get the call and to have the opportunity to present such a "cool" position to candidates.

For the next 2 weeks, I recruited and interviewed more than 30 potential candidates and presented my top 5. Almost 3 weeks passed before I heard any feedback...and when I did, it was to tell me that had no interest in ANY of the resumes I presented. I asked for some feedback as to why all were passed on...and was told they just did not have the "right background". Generally, without constructive feedback, I would not move forward with a search...however I am building a new company and need ALL the clients I can get...so I continued to recruit.

Over the next 2 months, I presented an array of candidates from varying industries, with different educational backgrounds and distinctly different personalities. Systematically, these candidates were rejected...very often for ABSURD reasons. However, they did like one candidate out of the 30 I had now presented and asked if I could get her availability to come back for a follow up.

For the next three weeks, I went back and forth with HR regarding the constantly changing schedule they were presenting in an attempt to get her back in. More than a month and half after her initial interview, they set up a second appointment. She went on her follow up and I received positive feedback and interest in bringing her back to meet the Editor.

The next month and a half was filled with confirmations and cancellations of this improbable meeting. Now, more than 2 months since her second interview and rapidly approaching 5 months since her initial meeting...she had not been seen by the "decision maker".

Then, one day to my surprise, I get a firm commitment for this meeting to happen. In fact, Human Resources asks me to provide references (a certain buy sign) prior to sending her in. I get the references within a day and wait a week and a half for the final appointment. The candidate finally meets with the Editor and spends an hour and a half with her. She is excited...I am excited...finally, after all this time, this ridiculous situation is coming to a close.

I follow up with phone calls and e-mails to see when I could expect an offer. However, my calls are not returned and e-mails receive a response that says "we are awaiting final word". I chase them for another week and a half before I receive a phone call from the HR Director that "they decided to pass...because they did not feel her background was strong enough"!

I nearly had a stroke!

In my 11 years of recruiting, I have never witnessed such a blatent disregard for my time, and for the relationship I have with my candidates. So...for a $45,000 Administrative Assistant position; I worked nearly 30 hours to recruit, schedule, prepare and coordinate. Most candidates would have told the employer to go F#@K themselves, but she really wanted the job. I would have told them to go F*&K themselves, but I really need new clients.

This is the type of S**T that goes on behind the scenes that makes jobseekers hate recruiters and makes recruiters want kill their clients.

Needless to say, I subsequently let my contact know what a terrific F***IN waste of time this had been and advised that anytime I get a position in publishing, that I would look to get my candidates from her organization first!!!!

So...be weary of a small publishing house in "The Village" that only publishes 3 magazines...they are EXTREMELY GOOD AT WASTING YOUR TIME!!!!


SCENNERIO #2

I meet a candidate...lovely young lady...out of work for almost a year...currently temping - She is temping for a company that makes fences in the Bronx -I get an opening with one of the hottest ad agencies in NYC handling the coordination of conferences/lunches/meetings/catering and special events...I present it to her and she is psyched to go on the interview...the position paid 30K and offered full benefits...a sweet deal in comparison to the 15/hr at the fence company in the Bronx with no benefits...don't you think??? - She interviews...they love her...and they want to make her an offer...remember, she's been out of work a year and is temping at a company that makes fences in the Bronx...She declines the offer...why you ask?...because one of the responsibilities was "straightening/cleaning" up after presentations and luncheons...she felt that this type of stuff was beneath her...so...to recap...she is going to continue temping at the "amazing" fence company in the Bronx..and is passing up on on of the hottest Soho ad agencies offering salary/benefits...because that seems like a more sensible move at the moment...ARE YOU F***KIN KIDDING ME????

Please do me a favor...if you are smoking crack...or are in some other way mentally compromised...send your resume to an agency that can appreciate it...like the ones I left to open my own!!!!!!

It is important sometimes to shed light on people that appear to be in this world to aggrevate the S**T out of you!


Some parting comments:

>Don't AKS me questions...
>Yes...I do need to meet you in order to send you out on interviews
>Yes...everyone needs to fill out an application when you come to my firm for representation
>No...I cannot turn you into a Marketing professional...now that after 7 years of Accounting...you are ready for a "change"
>Please...try hard to remember what position you applied to before calling me to request an apppointment
>Yes...meeting with me is a "REAL" interview
>No...I am not angry...just REAL


Remember, "the world is filled with Kings and Queens who will blind your eyes and steal your dreams"!

HOPE YOU ENJOYED MY BREAKDOWN!!!!


"LET ME TELL YOU DUDES WHAT I DO TO PROTECT THIS...SHOOT AT YOU ACTORS LIKE MOVIE PROJECTORS...THIS AIN'T A MOVIE DOG!!!!" - JAY-Z

Popular posts from this blog

LIKE ME - FRIEND ME - CONNECT WITH ME... HAVE WE MET?

DO YOU THINK THE RECESSION IS OVER?