The 5 Deadly Sins Of LinkedIn...


As a result of the more than 4,500 connections I have established and the incredible importance of LinkedIn to my world as a recruiter - I have become somewhat of an expert in "Best Practices" when it comes to etiquette and building your personal brand.

 

 

Here are 5 things that I refer to as "Deadly Sins" that when I encounter --- make me cringe.

 

 

#1 SPELLING OR GRAMMATICAL ERRORS IN THE PROFILE


When it comes to attention to detail and the way you choose to “broadcast” your personal brand to the world – there is no excuse for having spelling or grammatical errors in your profile. Yes… I understand there is no spell-check feature – but c’mon folks! Frankly, I think the number of otherwise very qualified candidates with their title listed as MANGER vs MANAGER are absurd. You would also be surprised at the number of profiles that include misspelled names of major brands and companies (some of which were even former employers). The profile provides a platform for personal expression. However, it is important to understand that this forum is NOT Facebook or Twitter. As a result, there is an expectation of a certain measure of professionalism.

 

 

#2 REQUESTING RECOMMENDATIONS FROM PEOPLE WHO YOU HAVE NEVER WORKED FOR OR WITH______________________________________________________

 

This one really puzzles me! Every week I receive several requests from people I am connected to (but have never worked with) to write a recommendation on their behalf. How can I possibly attest to the quality or caliber of work I have not experienced first- hand?  I respond by respectfully declining the request and citing the explanation I gave above. My livelihood is based on the credibility I maintain with Hiring Managers and Human Resources Executives. As much as I would like to assist someone in their search – I would not do that at the risk of my own reputation. In addition, when you solicit a recommendation from someone you do not know personally – it tells me that you likely are finding it challenging to secure more legitimate sources for professional validation. You are likely a “high risk” candidate.

 

#3   NO PROFILE PICTURE OR INAPPROPRIATE PICTURE   



Let’s face it --- we are in a visual age. Social Media has provided a means for your friends, colleagues and prospective employers to get a 360 degree “snapshot” of YOU. Make no mistake --- people expect this to include a picture! I will tell you right now – that when I come across a profile that is missing a picture --- it is an immediate “red flag”.  It tells me – you have something to hide or speaks to your self-confidence. I understand the thought of some that there may be some bias that they are looking to avoid. However, the reality is that eventually – someone you connect with is going to meet you and see what you look like. The picture just puts a face with the profile.  Many of us have not yet gone the route of some with the professional headshot (me included J).  The flip-side of this is the “inappropriate pic”. This is the profile pic that for me falls into one of a few categories: Full Body Shot, You And A Friend, Too Far, Too Close, Too Sexy, Crazy Eyes, Angry Looking, and Artistic Photo Shoot

 Some of the categories need no further explanation. Your profile picture should be a clear HEAD-SHOT  that you feel captures an expression that conveys a sentiment you want to convey. That can be Happiness, Confidence, Thoughtfulness, Poise, etc. Those others either frighten me or just make me laugh!

 

#4 INCOMPLETE INFO OR INACTIVITY

 

If you are going to take the time to have a presence on the largest professional social media network in the world ---- DO IT RIGHT! There are far too many people who have profiles with missing pieces. This could be previous jobs, education, skills – and number of important data points that need to be included. This is the epitome of laziness – as LinkedIn reminds you to complete your profile to achieve the best results. When I view an incomplete profile – I see that person as disinterested in how others perceive them and not understanding how important their personal brand is. The other part of this is INACTIVITY. If you have a complete profile – but you have only 25 connections… there is a problem. You are obviously not engaged in any way. Even if you are not actively searching for a new job; LinkedIn has incredible resources to share information about your industry – follow “Thought Leaders” – participate in industry related Groups and exchange information and become part of an active dialogue. If nothing else; use LinkedIn to connect with people whose work you admire – with companies/brands you find interesting --- just USE IT.

 

#5 DESIRE TO ACQUIRE AND LEAVING IT “VIRTUAL”



Early on I was obsessed with how many connections I had. I experience the same sort of thing with Twitter. I would check several times a day to see if my numbers had gone up. Ego is a terrible thing J. We are conditioned with a DESIRE TO ACQUIRE. However; LinkedIn is a platform where quality is far more important that quantity. This is why I chose not to be a LION. This is a LinkedIn Open Networker. These are the folks who happily connect to EVERYONE and ANYONE. If you are an Author, a Motivational Speaker, a Life Coach --- being a LION could be advantageous. However; most of us want to build meaningful connections with professionals we share common interests, industries and skills with.  I think this is best done in a methodical and selective manner. Once you do choose to connect with someone --- what does that mean? The connection only has meaning if you interact, exchange information and actually build a relationship. Our lives are so busy that we can trick ourselves into believing that a “virtual relationship” is a real one. One major mistake people make is to establish a connection – and leave it at that. I have done my best to selectively pursue real world relationships with a large number of my connections. Making the initial contact easy is the attraction of LinkedIn – but the true value is seen in converting those connections into real personal/professional relationships.          

 

“You can pay for school but you can't buy class!” - Jay-Z
 

Popular posts from this blog

LIKE ME - FRIEND ME - CONNECT WITH ME... HAVE WE MET?

DO YOU THINK THE RECESSION IS OVER?