WHAT'S YOUR DIGITAL IQ?

To think that when I started recruiting 17 years ago:

-I did not have a computer on my desk
- I did not have a smartphone
- I FAXED resumes
- I still used "white-out"
- There were no JOB BOARDS (Monster, HotJobs, Careerbuilder)
- I placed ads in HELP WANTED section of the NYT
- Social Media DID NOT EXIST -no FACEBOOK, MYSPACE, LINKEDIN, TWITTER

HOW THE HELL DID I FUNCTION :) ?

When I begin to reflect on the tremendous changes that have occurred - just since my graduation from college in 1990- I feel like my grandfather - telling stories of the first TV he got...or the guy that delivered ICE for their ICE BOX (Refrigerator for those who did not know).

The need to acquire a "DIGITAL SKILL SET" has become MANDATORY across almost every industry & necessary to establishing a career path.

I am focusing on the DIGITAL world to underscore it's dominance in the way we interact - work - gather information - communicate - look for jobs - socialize - make purchases...and on & on & on.

As a result of the rapid technological advances in the DIGITAL SPACE- there are an infinite number of ways to ENGAGE a target audience. New trends in Consumer Behavior have dictated an adaptation by all companies/brands to embrace a multi-platform...DIGITALLY DRIVEN strategy to get their BRAND MESSAGE to their consumer...and ultimately a CALL TO ACTION!

In fact; the vast majority of searches I am conducting for my clients (leaders in BEAUTY, ADVERTISING, ENTERTAINMENT & PR) have a significant DIGITAL component.

Here is a snapshot of some of the titles I have placed candidates I represent in...just in the past 6 months:

SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGIST
DIGITAL MEDIA PLANNER
DIGITAL MARKETING MANAGER
MANAGER, E-COMMERCE
DIRECTOR OF INTEGRATED CONSUMER INSIGHTS
SENIOR CRM STRATEGIST
DIGITAL PUBLICIST
VP, CONSUMER ENGAGEMENT
SVP, DIGITAL BRAND STRATEGY

These placements were made with my clients in: BEAUTY, ENTERTAINMENT, PUBLIC RELATIONS & ADVERTISING.

The interesting piece is that the need for digital expertise reaches beyond MARKETING, PR & ADVERTISING. My partners in HUMAN RESOURCES employ a dizzying array of DIGITAL TOOLS to assist them. People who occupy roles that collaborate with these areas - are also expected to understand - to some extent - how digital resources, practices, technologies & strategies work.

Candidates who lack exposure to digital - often ask me "How can I get the digital experience everyone is looking for - if my role/company does not afford me the opportunity?" I respond by pointing out that many candidates I placed this year garnered valuable experience OUTSIDE THE SCOPE OF THEIR DAY TO JOB. Several volunteered themselves to work on projects in other areas/departments (on their time) that would enable them to be mentored. When it comes to social media --- I have seen young people (2 yrs out of college) capitalize on their own MASTERY of Facebook & Twitter...and turn that into a CAREER path in SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGY --- which BTW DID NOT EXIST...just a few years ago!

Ultimately...the key is to remain CURRENT - to understand how DIGITAL MEDIA is impacting your industry and the type of role you have. Just look around at the way you communicate with friends, make purchases, find out about info that's important to you, what advertising/marketing stands out to you...and that will provide some reference for what might be important to learn about.

************ FOLLOW THE TALENT MAGNET ON LinkedIn & Twitter************

http://www.linkedin.com/in/koppelmantalentmagnet

http://twitter.com/talentmagnet


"Don't mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS...whether extending or receiving it" -SK

Popular posts from this blog

LIKE ME - FRIEND ME - CONNECT WITH ME... HAVE WE MET?

DO YOU THINK THE RECESSION IS OVER?