HEY NEW GRADS....DO YOU HAVE AN ATTITUDE...OR ARE YOU SHOWING GRATITUDE?

I find myself telling the same stories over and over again about candidates and clients. This is because human nature does not change. There will always be UPBEAT, ENERGETIC, HUMBLE PEOPLE...and there will always be UNGRATEFUL, BITTER, ARROGANT folks who believe they are owed something by the world.




NEW OR RECENT GRADS

First...if you are a new or recent graduate...YOU HAVE NO EXPERIENCE! This is to gently remind you that an internship for two months that took place 2 years ago - DOES NOT EQUATE TO EXPERIENCE. This was a glimpse into a company or industry that you may choose to pursue after graduating.



Second...since your are predominantly selling POTENTIAL...then your ability to demonstrate basic knowledge of the job you are interviewing for, some level of enthusiasm/excitement, FLEXIBILITY, COMMON SENSE and HUMILITY is the key to landing your job!



Employers, Human Resources and Recruiters are very different than the admissions counselors at your University or College. Admissions people wanted to hear all about your extra-curricular activities, how well-rounded you are and all your various interests. Employers want to know you have some idea about the job you are applying for, the company you claim to want to work for, the industry this company is in...and WHAT SETS YOU APART FROM THE HUNDREDS OF OTHER RECENT GRADS WHOSE RESUMES ARE FILLING THEIR INBOX!



At this point in time; your communication skills and personality play a much greater role in securing a job - than any "experience" you have! This is why your ATTITUDE plays a much larger role in landing you a job than your resume does. Employers want to hire people they LIKE, people they see as a "CULTURAL FIT", people they view as ENTHUSIASTIC, FLEXIBLE & EAGER TO LEARN.

Since April; I have met/interviewed well over 100 new graduates. This is after screening hundreds of resumes. Of the 100+ new graduates I have met - I only felt comfortable presenting 10-15 of them to my clients as candidates.

THIS WAS IN LARGE PART - DUE TO ATTITUDE!

Here's some classic things new grads are sharing with me:

"I interview very well. I have had 20-30 interviews since graduation." (they neglect to mention they have had very few 2nd interviews & not a single offer)

"I don't like interviewing with women. I think they find my looks intimidating or there is some kind of jealousy thing going on." (you are right - it has nothing to do with your over-inflated sense of self worth)

"I didn't go to school for 4 years to be some-one's assistant." (I see your point - perhaps we should only look at senior management roles...for someone with no experience)

"I am very focused in my search. I am looking for something in beauty, fashion, advertising, entertainment or PR." (that represents hundreds of jobs in 5 distinctly different industries...not focused)

"In a "REAL INTERVIEW", I would act differently." (so, the fact that you appear lifeless & have an expression on your face like you just smelled something really bad... is just special interview stuff for me?)

"What? Am I supposed to dress like I am going to work at a bank or something?" (response when I suggested that the mini-skirt and low cut top were great for the club...but not so great for interviews)


Listen...the bottom line is - if you get a job....I GET PAID! I want EVERYONE I meet to be great & I want EVERYONE I send to get an offer! However, I realize that is not realistic.

MY JOB REQUIRES THAT I PROVIDE CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM ABOUT EVERYTHING FROM A RESUME, TO AN INTERVIEW ANSWER, TO ATTITUDE.

MY JOB ALSO REQUIRES ME TO INTRODUCE THE BEST 2-3 CANDIDATES I CAN!

Every candidate I send to a client is a reflection of me. I do not like to be embarrassed. So, i take the time to really listen...and hopefully provide REAL WORLD feedback that will improve the way someone interviews and ultimately improve their chances of landing a new job.

You may not like everything I tell you - but I will try to do it in a RESPECTFUL & CONSTRUCTIVE manner.

You see...I had no guidance with respect to interviewing when I graduated. I mistook cockiness for confidence...and as a result...had many, many 1st interviews. It wasn't until someone told me about HUMILITY, HUNGER, FLEXIBILITY, A SENSE OF HUMOR & GRATITUDE...that I was successful in my interviews. Ultimately, those same principles - when applied throughout my life have contributed greatly to my success personally & professionally!


"I DON'T WANT TO GO THROUGH LIFE - I WANT TO GROW THROUGH LIFE" SK

Popular posts from this blog

LIKE ME - FRIEND ME - CONNECT WITH ME... HAVE WE MET?

DO YOU THINK THE RECESSION IS OVER?