THEY SAID WHAT???

There are some very common things I hear from candidates ...then there are those things that people say that make me scratch my head & say ----did I just hear what i thought I heard?


COMMON THINGS I HEAR MANY CANDIDATES TELL ME IN AN INTERVIEW:

- I am a people person -of course you are, otherwise you would be a veteranarian & working with animals - being a "people person" is not a skill - even the IT guy who looks like a serial murderer at your company thinks he is a "people person"

-I am excellent in interviews - I've had like 20 - the fact that you have had 20 interviews and have not yet been extended an offer should be a clear indication that you are NOT as strong an interviewer as you may think - generally, very good interviews result in offers

-I would act differently in a "REAL" interview -candidates often mistake the fact that their interview with me is NOT REAL - I assume the way someone acts in their interview with me is the way they will present themselves to my client - i am the guy that needs to be excited about SELLING you to prospective employers - if you lack energy/enthusiasm with me - I assume that is the way you will represent me & WILL NOT SEND YOUR RESUME ANYWHERE

- I am very focused in my search - I am looking for something in Fashion, PR, Beauty or Events -candidates tend to lump all the industries or functions they feel would be FUN or interesting into one category - the industries listed above are VERY different and each has their own unique criteria for experience, education & skill set necessary to be considered

-I think that people are sometimes intimidated by my looks -I have actually heard this explanation given to me by several female candidates who feel their UNBELIEVABLE physical appearance is actually a hinderence in their search for a new job - probably has more to do with the ATTITUDE and less to do with how extraordinarily beautiful you are

-I am looking for something MANAGEMENT -not unreasonable when I am speaking to a candidate who currently holds an Assistant Manager or Manager title - but I hear this most often from candidates that have 1-3 years of experience - who are under the misconception they have already PAID THEIR DUES - a manager title should be secondary to your desire to obtain a position that is CHALLENGING, pays you fairly & provides opportunity for mentorship & growth

- I was told I should be asking for $________ -way too often, candidates are relying on the advice of friends or colleagues about what people that do what they do are getting paid - A sfaer bet is to look for up to a 10K increase in your base pay & assume that in a tighter market you may get closer to 5K - if you know what you need to live on - and know what you feel is fair compensation for the work you would be doing - that is a better barometer than what your friends tell you - you should be making

-Do they offer a RELOCATION allowance -not a silly question for candidates who are out of state and will need to move from the midwest or California - however, this question was posed to me a few months back by an entry level candidate i placed at an Ad agency in Soho - She lived on the upper east side & felt she would like to move closer to reduce her commuting time - & wanted to know if the Agency would give her money to move from the upper east side to SOHO - Obviously...I suggested that she put down the crack pipe she was smoking

THE ABOVE BLURBS ARE JUST SOME AMUSING TIDBITS & REPRESENT A SMALL SAMPLE OF THE FUNNY & SOMETIMES UNBELIEVABLE STUFF I HEAR...WANTED TO SHARE...LOOK OUT FOR CRAZY SH*T CLIENTS TELL ME SOON..


"I HAVE BECOME...COMFORTABLY NUMB" - PINK FLOYD

Popular posts from this blog

LIKE ME - FRIEND ME - CONNECT WITH ME... HAVE WE MET?

DO YOU THINK THE RECESSION IS OVER?