"The Magnet's back...Can you feel the attraction?"

Hello to all my friends in the "wonderful" world of job seeking!!!

Like all the young kids say; "It has been a minute" since I last had an entry to my my blog. It has been a wild and busy month or so in the recruitment arena.

The Talent Magnet has been busy introducing some of the best candidates in NYC to new career opportunities. Since the last time I checked in, we have been engaged to search by more than a half dozen new employers. These organizations represent some of the most sought after entities in BEAUTY, FINANCIAL SERVICES, ENTERTAINMENT, ADVERTISING and more!!!

Since I last blessed you with my sharp wit and tremendous sense of humor; The Talent Magnet has placed people in these titles with following types of organizations:

SVP, ADMINISTRATION - GLOBAL ENTERTAINMENT/MOVIE COMPANY
MANAGER, HUMAN RESOURCES - GLOBAL ADVERTISING AGENCY
FACILITIES SUPERVISOR, #1 LAW FIRM IN THE COUNTRY
ACCOUNT MANAGER - LEADING ONLINE INFORMATION PROVIDER
GROUP ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT - NATIONAL AD AGENCY
ACCOUNT MANAGER - #1 RESTAURANT REVIEW PUBLICATION
RECEPTIONIST, FINANCIAL SERVICES POWERHOUSE
HUMAN RESOURCES ASSISTANT, COSMETICES/BEAUTY GIANT

just to let you know we have not just been sitting around looking pretty...

The establishment of recruitment partnerships with a limited and elite roster of employers is still a primary goal! Of equal importance, is the relationship we have with motivated, flexible, articulate, upbeat, friendly, analytical, skilled, etc. candidates. It makes no sense to get new clients if we have nobody to introduce!!!

The job market continues to grow, providing opportunities that have not been plentiful since prior to 9/11. We have seen companies reach out to us for RECEPTIONISTS, HELP DESK STAFF, MARKETING COORDINATORS and other positions that employers had not been willing to pay a fee for in some time. This is indicative of a more competitive market. Many companies are battling for the same pool of candidates and therefore are engaging the services of a recruiter to expedite the process and have first crack at top-tier talent.

It should be understood that employers are still seeking that focused, career path minded candidate to join their team. I am reiterating this point because I am still seeing far too many candidates who are expecting me to assist in establishing a new career path.

If you are looking at opportunities that capitalize on previous experience; then I am your man! If you have been an Accounts Payable Coordinator for the past three years and now have a burning desire to sell Ad space in a magazine...not so much!! My clients are looking to me to identify and introduce a candidate with a clear set of skills and expertise and industry focus. Being "well-rounded" with "exposure to many things" is not necessarily a plus in a tight "employer driven" market. As the market continues to grow; then many employers will have no choice but to look beyond previous experience and begin to examine POTENTIAL.

However, unless you are a recent graduate, very few of clients are paying for potential.

Let's pause now for a "MAGNET RAMBLE"...

There are some very irritating things that I regularly encounter when trying to establish and maintain contact with candidates and I feel they really need to be addressed.

1) If you are looking for job and you would really like to be contacted; please provide a phone number that does NOT have CALLER INTERCEPT...It rarely works correctly & I find it annoying...therefore I probably will not try very hard to reach you on that #

2) If you would like me to take you seriously as a "professional" I want to introduce to my clients...do NOT have an outgoing message that is geared towards your friends or some half-hearted attempt at humor...ie("you know where you called, now leave a message not an attitude" or the ever annoying "hello...hello...ha, ha we're not here right now...but you thought we were")

3) Never a good idea to leave an outgoing message that speaks to your political or religious ideology...these messages are generally TOO LONG and quite frankly will probably CREEP OUT my clients...ie ("You have reached the Smith household. As you begin your journey down the path that the Lord has laid for you, take comfort in the knowledge that you are one of his BLESSED children...Have a BLESSED day!) The sentiment is very nice...but if you were not looking for a daily affirmation...could be off-putting.

4) If you call a recruiter in response to a job listing....for the love of GOD...(I know...I made a religious reference) please take a minute to know WHO you are calling and for WHAT job you are applying. The answer " I sent so many resumes out that I have no idea" does NOT motivate me to place atop the list of candidates I wish to work with!!!

5) Please make sure that you alert family members to the fact that you are looking for a job and therefore people like me may be calling the house. I can't tell how irritating it is to be grilled as if I am a bill collector or bail bondsman calling to extract some information that will ultimately harm their loved one. Chances are slim that if I have a confrontational exchange...that I will be in a hurry to dial that number again anytime soon. In most cases, the message never seems to get to you anyway.

back to some very insightful, serious stuff...

I have seen a major increase over the past eight weeks for talented MARKETING, ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT & SALES professionals.

The demand for MARKETING professionals has been from a Coordinator level to SVP. These positions have been in BEAUTY/COSMETICS, INTERACTIVE/e-COMMERCE, CRM Experts in a variety of entities and MEDIA LICENSING.

Account Management professionals are being actively pursued by some of the biggest names in advertising. My clients have asked me to introduce at all levels from AAE - Account Director. There are tremendous needs on HEALTHCARE/PHARMA, FINANCAL SERVICES, FASHION, CONSUMER PACKAGED GOODS.

If you are a CLOSER or a HUNTER...this is your market! Employers are paying top dollar for proven sales expertise. There is a demand in Ad Sales (Print & Online). The Interactive space is buzzing with a need for "Rainmakers" to sell INFORMATION SERVICES, SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS, ONLINE PUBLISHING PLATFORMS and more!

Over the next 8-10 weeks, I expect that employers will begin to loosen the restrictions on who/what backgrounds I can introduce. They will begin to seek out those "diamonds in the rough" whose resume does not properly reflect the skills and potential they bring. You need to continue to vigorously pursue the companies/opportunities you wish to get in front of! Come equipped with a marketing plan that effectively highlights what you bring that will immediately impact a prospective employer's workplace. Do your research...know the industry you want, the competition, what distinguishes one company from the other and where you could see yourself benefiting from a 2-3 year relationship!!!

I'm glad I got all that off my chest. It's all that "BLOGGER BUILD-UP"!!

Please continue to reach out as you have and share your experiences!

As Kasey Kasem said "keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!"



"The flow's been mastered...the ice; I flashed it...@#$%^&* with me, I'll have ya Mama pickin out ya casket!" - 50 CENT

Popular posts from this blog

LIKE ME - FRIEND ME - CONNECT WITH ME... HAVE WE MET?

DO YOU THINK THE RECESSION IS OVER?